Hello! This is where we will share photos of some of our landscape design projects located throughout California.
Deeter Buckner Design LLC and The Plant Man are based in San Diego, CA. We can be reached by phone (text or v.m.) at: Michael Cell: 619-980-5483, or Jenise Cell: 858-353-6369 (text or v.mail).
Michael Buckner, born and raised in San Diego, has been both a nurseryman, and a landscape designer in Southern California for over 40 years. Working as 'The Plant Man', and dba 'Deeter Buckner Design LLC', his design work has been featured in San Diego Home & Garden, Pacific Horticulture, books by Debra Lee Baldwin, and multiple other magazines.
Michael's also a nationally 'Certified Judge' for the Cactus and Succulent Society of America, a horticulturalist, a grower of rare & exotic plant material, a sought after speaker, an avid student of natural history, and a bibliophile.
Jenise Deeter-Buckner holds degrees in both Landscape Architecture and Fine Art (A.S. Landscape Architecture & MFA, Masters of Fine Art). She taught drawing/mixed-media and black & white photography courses at SDSU for three years, while earning her masters degree. She has over 10 years of nursery experience and has been working with Michael for over 5 years.
As a design team, they collaborate on all phases of the creative processes, which eventually translate into the formal blueprint of the design, or Concept Plan, drawn by Jenise.
A 'constant' in our design process is to be 'Nature' sensitive - to find ways to bring 'Nature' into the design. And in doing so, embrace those qualities inherent to Southern California, its native rocks, its changing elevations, its micro climates - the unique climates of its canyons, beaches, & interior desert environments - while making creative use in the landscape design, of the varieties of native plant material and unique cacti and succulents that thrive here.
Our team's design work promotes unique, expressive, drought tolerant, sustainable landscapes which enhance our client’s outdoor living spaces and reflect the client's personal narrative...their visions, dreams, and expectations throughout the processes - from the beginning consultation on site with the client, to the space’s final installation.
Tuesday, October 18
Photos of current projects to come soon. Check back later this week for pics of new project in La Jolla and another located on the hill overlooking Pt. Loma.
Jenise & Michael
Monday, May 16
We're going to work on doing an expose of 'before' and 'after' images from some of our landscape garden designs. Is it always a pleasure for us to see just how quickly these gardens mature. Coming Soon!!
Some of our Awards:
- Two Blue Ribbon Front Garden Landscapes - Cornado Flower Show (2105 2016)
- One Top Ten Landscapes - Coronado Flower Show (2013 & 2016)
- City of San Diego Top Drought Tolerant Landscape - Carmel Valley area (2016)
- Look for our landscape design in Coronado being featured in the July 2016 issue of SD Home & Garden Magazine, article by Mary James.
- We will once again be judging the landscapes and the succulent gardens this year at the Del Mar County Fair.
- We recently judged 'the cactus & succulent specimens' exhibited at the 2016 Coronado Flower Show.
- Michael has been a judge at the Coronado Flower Show for several years.
- Michael always looks forward to judging the Cactus & Succulent Society of America shows at the Huntington Botanical Garden, in July of each year.
- Michael has been a certified national judge since 1972, and has judged over 200 national flower shows.